To heave a line ashore or to another boat, it’s best to follow a set procedure. Here’s what ships’ crews do. It works just as well on a yacht.
- Coil the line neatly, clockwise, into your left hand
- Step on the bitter end of the left-hand coil (or make it fast) so you can’t lose it
- Divide the coil into two, about 60/40, the bigger half in your right paw
- Look at the target, swing the right-hand coil ‘underhand’, then toss it, following it up immediately with the left-hand coil. Don’t ‘snatch’ the left-hand coil. Just let it go easily. It’ll do the rest for itself.
- If you’re left-handed, reverse the procedure, but make sure the coils are still clockwise. A left-handed coil guarantees a duff heave.