’Ello ’Ello ’Ello!

Cruising in foreign waters, you never know when you’ll be boarded by the authorities. They may leave you alone for years, then suddenly, one day, there they are! It doesn’t pay to be complacent about carrying documentation. Ship’s registration papers (SSR document is fine), evidence of VAT payment, Skipper’s licence (or at least an ICC certificate), passports, VHF certificate of competence and insurance certificate are minimum requirements in many countries. If you don’t have them handy, you may be in for a rough ride.