At sea on extended passages, nothing raises morale so much as the smell of baking bread. Some people just like doing it for fun and it’s great after a week or two of baguette bingeing. Here are five tips for making a loaf to lust after:
- Buy Patricia Jacobs’ Best Bread Book from Amazon.
- Use dried yeast (available from good supermarkets) and make sure it’s in date.
- Stow the rising dough near the calorifier to keep it warm on a cold day.
- Take brown flour with you. It can be tricky to source.
- Try not to eat it hot. It’ll slice only in doorsteps and won’t last a minute!